Qualitest helps Large Hospital Network Implement New EHR System and Upgrade Existing HIS Systems
A healthcare network’s decision to implement a new, cross-organization EHR solution grew too large and complex for them to handle alone. Qualitest was chosen to establish a comprehensive QA and testing solution for the project and ensure the quality.
Ministry Health Care is a large healthcare network, located in the US Midwest, with 15 hospitals, over 50 clinics employing over 400 physicians and mid-level providers. The healthcare network has a variety of customized HIS and EHR solutions based on off-the-shelf HIS packages.
The healthcare network decided to unify their system by implementing a new, cross-organization EHR solution. This included integration of a number or large off-the-shelf HIS systems. System requirements needed to be addressed at both the pan-organization level and location specifically. Many of the existing HIS systems required customization in order to enable the integration into the new EHR system.
Business Needs and Objectives
The healthcare network recognized the EHR project was larger and more complex than projects it had done in the past. Qualitest was selected as the vendor of choice in order to establish a comprehensive QA and testing solution for the project and ensure the quality.
The project goals were to validate the EHR and HIS systems. This included verification of all universal and specific requirements across the healthcare network and specifically where integration work or customizations was done. In addition, the testing project goals included establishing a comprehensive QA and testing infrastructure for later stages and future expansion.
Risks and Challenges
HIS are at the core of large healthcare organizations’ business. Therefore, any modifications, upgrades or changes introduce significant risks and require the utmost care. In this case, the customer was making major changes by customizing off-the-shelf software packages, developing functionality and creating new interfaces increasing the risk factor significantly.
Additional challenges included HIPAA regulations, System and Process Change management, Data migration, integration, interfaces and user acceptance.
The Qualitest Solution
Qualitest established an independent testing team, which worked onsite at the customers IT offices. The team worked closely with the different project groups including business analysts, project managers, developers and super users. The on-site independent approach allowed Qualitest to accomplish the QA and testing tasks effectively and with limited disruptions.
Qualitest assigned a senior test specialist to conduct a detailed assessment and develop a Master Test Plan (MTP) for the project. Following the MTP approval, the dedicated Qualitest testing team focused on the following activities:
- Requirement analysis and requirement definition
- Functional gaps analysis between current processes and expected new processes
- Data migration and master data which are key for the EMPI and data migration between old and new HIS
- Integration and interfaces
- Subsystem, integration system and user acceptance testing.
- Regression testing
- Scripted & Exploratory testing
- Test Environment
- Quality/validation Management tools
Validation Management Tool
Qualitest implemented Validation Management Tool (VMT), a comprehensive and collaborative web tool to help manage the QA and testing process. VMT facilities every step of product validation:
- Product feature specification and requirement management
- Test protocol planning
- Test scheduling and execution
- Defect management and resolutions
- Risks management
VMT has an interactive graphical dashboard providing real-time test status information. This provides better visibility and insight into the management of the system development life cycle at your organization. It provides role-base collaboration that automates the information flow during the development process, facilitating reporting and reducing manual overhead.
VMT is fully compliant with regulatory FDA and CE standards including 21 CFR part 11 and simplifies the submission process with automated report generation.
- The EHR project was completed successfully, with 0 critical or high severity bugs found in production.
- Gaps and risks were identified early in the process, which helped reduce bugs at later stages and avoid project delays.
- The independent team was able to work without political pressures and keep the testing effort on track.
- Advanced tools, metrics and techniques helped stakeholders see the real status of the project.
- The project cost was within the defined limits.
- The new quality management tool is now used to manage the entire SDLC of all IT project in the organization.
Project Business Card
Solution: On-shore testing
Location: On-shore, on-site
Project Size: 5 Qualitest employees
Customer size: Healthcare network with 16 hospitals, 200 clinics and over 200 physician and staff.