New Testing Show Podcast: Test Coverage – An Expert Evaluation
Elle Gee along with Perze Ababa, Matthew Husser and show producer Michael Larsen sharing expert insights on some of the salient factors related to test coverage.
Test coverage, apart from being a crucial factor in software maintenance, indicates software quality. It acts as a metric for measuring the quantity of testing a set of tests performs and, at the same time, assists in evaluating test effectiveness by delivering data on several coverage items.
So, how relevant is test coverage in helping you realize your progress? How can coverage assist when you generate test cases? What is the importance of recognizing coverage gaps and what aspects, in this respect, should you analyze for each test project?
In our recent podcast, “The Testing Show,” we have Qualitest’s Elle Gee along with Perze Ababa, Matthew Husser and show producer Michael Larsen sharing expert insights on some of the salient factors related to test coverage.
Topics discussed include:
- The meaning of coverage explained in different perspectives – How to ideally define coverage.
- The question of meeting coverage – The role of a coverage map and the idea of looking back to assess (with actual examples).
- The crucial factor of recognizing gaps in coverage – Whether it is a production problem or an unexpected behavior and how you can identify them through proper communication.
- The measures we take at Qualitest to recognize coverage gaps – The approaches, the test planning and the factors we consider for each project.
- The good, the bad and the ugly of coverage metrics – The importance of knowing your numbers, exact to the t.
- The relevance of measuring code coverage – How the percentage assists in identifying gaps and expressing progress.
- Closing thoughts on the significance of understanding test coverage and focusing on identifying gaps.