Performance Testing One-Stop Solution for Leading Multinational Oil and Gas Company
Qualitest provided and implemented the right strategy to make sure the speed and response of applications leave a positive impact on the end user.
Establish multiple performance testing requirements.
The client needed help building a strong performance testing process, reporting, isolating bottlenecks & more.
Provided a holistic solution based on the client’s specific performance testing requirements.
Helped set up performance objectives, predicting potential performance failures and isolating their root cause.
The client was able to move forward with a tailored testing strategy.
Enabled early detection of bottlenecks, helping in overall reduction of up to 30% development costs and time to market.
Our client, one of the world’s largest publicly traded oil and gas providers, develops and applies next-generation technologies to safely and responsibly help meet the world’s growing needs for energy and high-quality chemical products.
As an industry leader, the client operates facilities and markets products worldwide, explores for oil and natural gas on six continents, and researches and develops technological solutions to help meet the dual challenge of fueling global economies while addressing the risks of climate change.
Multiple Applications Call for a Robust Solution
The client was looking for a one-stop solution for all its performance testing requirements. The company uses a mix of enterprise applications, including inhouse-developed solutions, SAP, Fiori, Salesforce, Remedy, COTS Apps, web apps, mobile apps, DB Apps, high volume transaction systems, and highly complex geographically distributed applications.
The client was looking for a service company that not only does performance testing, but can help with capacity planning, benchmark exercising, performance engineering, production monitoring, tool suggestions, providing training for onsite personnel and certifying all the applications before they go live.
Qualitest was approached to help build a strong performance testing process, which not only determines whether the application meets the requirements of speed, scalability, stability and client-side performance under the expected workloads, but also to provide a best-in-class solution to perform in-depth analysis at the component level, dynamic profiling and capacity evaluation.
“The client was looking for a one-stop solution for all its performance testing requirements.”
In addition to testing and reporting, isolating bottlenecks and providing appropriate recommendations, the client turned to Qualitest in order to:
- Establish a QA partner who understood their industry and business rationale, with the purpose of launching a multiyear engagement.
- Provide and implement the right strategy to make sure the speed and response of applications leave a positive impact on the end user. This also includes providing recommendation for rightscaling of application infrastructure and/or code tuning to ensure positive user experience and user’s growth.
- Understand the current production usage and metrics, and define the workload model for conducting baseline tests, load tests, stress tests, endurance tests, benchmark tests and capacity planning.
- Provide partnerships and alliances that enable recommendations of right tools, solutions, and R&D initiatives.
- Perform comprehensive analysis and provide recommendations for performance improvements.
- Gain access to certified SME’s with strong expertise on COTS/Open source tools and application technologies
- Deploy global delivery centers with the ability to rapidly perform knowledge transfer and ramp up the team as needed.
“Qualitest provided and implemented the right strategy to make sure the speed and response of applications leave a positive impact on the end user.”
Setting Up Clear Performance Objectives to Engineer Success
- Enabled early detection of bottlenecks, helping in overall reduction of up to 30% development costs and time to market.
- Qualitest proposed setting up a Performance Engineering Centre of Excellence (PECoE): A centralized team supporting all projects across globe, building robust methodology, standardized processes, implementing best practices, building reusable accelerators and capable of executing multiple projects simultaneously.
- The Onsite-Onshore-Offshore PECoE team comprised of around nine members, including a Performance Architect, Performance Engineers and Performance Testers.
- By pushing performance-driven development earlier in the lifecycle, Qualitest helped in setting up clear performance objectives, predicting potential performance failures and isolating the root cause of performance failures for all the applications that were being developed.
- A dedicated performance lab capable of supporting thousands of users with required tools like LoadRunner, PC, ALM, Neoload, JMeter, Network packet capturing tool sets, Client-side Performance testing utilities was setup. Load-agent machines from various global locations within the firewall and cloud-based generators was setup and configured.
- Qualitest configured Monitors to capture metrics like CPU, Memory, Disk utilization, Queuing data on all the application/ database servers and load agents.
- Qualitest installed and Setup SiteScope for monitoring:
– the availability and performance of
– distributed IT infrastructures
– servers’ metrics
– applications metrics
– network usage
- Qualitest configured Appdynamics probes for application performance monitoring, end user monitoring, business process monitoring and infrastructure visibility.
- Qualitest leveraged the SAP Solutioning Manager Technical Monitoring tool for all SAP performance testing projects.
- Established best-in-class gated-process approach, which is scalable and repeatable with clearly defined SLA for every project.
- Created a well-defined performance testing methodology considering business criticality, geographic distributions, arrival rate, completion rate, etc.
- Tested thousands of concurrent users across geographical locations.
“Qualitest enabled early detection of bottlenecks, helping in overall reduction of up to 30% development costs and time to market.”