Qualitest Helps Global Market-Leading Retailer Engineer Massive Automation Transformation
Manual testing couldn’t keep pace with aggressive releases for huge website project. Qualitest stepped in to replace 27 hours/release for manual testing with automation throughout the SDLC.
Manual testing couldn’t keep pace with aggressive releases for huge website project.
Stakeholders were reluctant to automate due to business impacts from previous attempts.
Built a robust automation framework, including UX journeys testing for 71 websites across 18 locations.
Focused manual testing solely on new business features, to be done in-sprint.
Replaced 27 hours/release for manual testing with automation throughout the SDLC.
2300 UI tests run daily, covering almost 100% of customer device usage.
The Client is a market-leading, fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG) company, a category that covers high-demand everyday products that move on and off shelves quickly. The company operates in more than 190 countries and is organized in three segments: Beauty & Personal Care, Home Care and Foods & Refreshment. Its products represent hundreds of household name brands in everything from ice cream to skin cleansers.
Manual testing no match for a fast-moving industry
The Client was running a strategic project that required re-engineering 71 websites in 18 locations. The project had monthly releases, and each release required over 27 hours of manual testing.
To keep up with the aggressive pace of the FMCG industry, the Client needed to reduce the time taken for each software release and improve release efficiency. However, previous attempts to switch from the time-consuming manual approach had triggered negative business impacts, eroding confidence.
The Client also required support in their day-to-day testing activities, including:
- Evolving their mindset and capabilities regarding automated testing.
- Generating trust in automation service.
- Designing and implementing the test automation framework that could be used extensively throughout the project.
- Meeting any challenge and/or requirement that could arise mid-project.
- Mentoring the junior team members in automation best practices.
Framework for automation, foundation for trust
Qualitest began with an evaluation of any automation already in place, noting project-specific techniques to be used in the new test framework design. Then we built the framework foundation and included a set of initial tests as a template for others to follow. Qualitest trained the initial two junior team members on adding tests based on this template.
“Qualitest created a dedicated automation framework, enabling continuous testing.”
We evaluated the Client’s manual testing approach, analyzing the list of features already delivered. These features were identified as the initial areas for automation within the framework.
With 71 websites to cover, Qualitest created a dedicated automation framework where we fully maintained the test data, enabling continuous testing of all features planned for all websites.
We brought in the change to run automated testing daily on multiple environments, at all stages of the test lifecycle. Manual testing was performed in-sprint on only the new features. We also looked at existing test environments and recommended the testing focus areas.
To meet mid-project requirements and help management teams understand and visualize the daily status of the tests run, Qualitest implemented New Relic dashboards for test results data to help the management understand the current code quality.
Qualitest’s extensive QE and business process expertise helped the Client accelerate their testing to meet aggressive release schedules for this project and to build overall confidence in automated processes for the future.
- To minimize business interruptions and speed up testing, Qualitest and Client teams tested all potential components of the 71 websites daily via continuous integration workflows.
- The Client gained increased management confidence in UX test results by covering almost 100% of customer device usage with over 2,000 daily UI tests.
- The Client was enabled to assess site quality within minutes through automated visual checking of all web pages.
- The Client achieved reduced risk of fines for incorrect product ingredients and further assured confidence in the content by regression-testing 720 WIOP (What’s In Our Products) in 18 different global locations while they were in development.