Qualitest Performs Accessibility Testing for Global Consumer Goods Website
Qualitest Drives Best Practices for Accessibility through WCAG 2.0 Compliance testing. Qualitest’s Accessibility case study provides a comprehensive yet cost effective approach to ensuring accessibility for all customers.
The Client required proper accessibility testing.
Testing was necessary to make the website compliant with accessibility standards.
Professional testing and guidance on improvement.
Accessibility testing made the website WCAG 2 compliant and identified potential barriers.
The Client achieved the required compliance level.
The quick and cost-effective solution found 62 issues, including two severe ones.
The client is a leading consumer goods company that produces many leading brands of food and household products.
Business Needs and Objectives
The client requested accessibility testing for its global website. Testing was to be done in accordance with the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0. The scope included both automated and manual testing. Analysis and reporting as well as raw data were required. The client needed the accessibility test results as quickly as possible in order to ensure compliance and avoid fines
The Qualitest Solution
Using the WCAG 2.0 as a basis for testing, Qualitest documented areas in which the client’s website posed barriers of use for its clients and potential clients with disabilities. Testing was executed on the desktop as well as on mobile devices with both Android and iOS operating systems. Accessibility standards related to audio, video and flash images were also included in the test. The test approach included both automated and manual testing.
The automated portion of the test strategy included the use of tools such as A-Checker, Access Color, Functional Accessibility Evaluator, HERA, Mozilla/ Firefox Accessibility Extension, WDG HTML Validator and WAVE. To ensure a comprehensive test, the manual test approach included:
- Enabling any relevant Accessibility related plug-ins / extensions available for the browsers used during testing.
- Manually navigating the web site under test and noting issues and observations relevant to accessibility.
- Replicating specific impairment groups (e.g. removing mouse to replicate dexterity impairment, increasing on screen text size to replicate vision impairment, etc.) where possible.
- Utilizing browser and operating system native accessibility features (e.g. Screen readers, Screen Magnifiers, font magnification, etc.) where possible.
- Using Accessibility features present in Android and iOS devices.
Qualitest’s professional accessibility testing team completed the project within two weeks of the commencement of testing. Results of the test were documented in a well-organized report that documented the areas of both compliance and non-compliance to WCAG 2.0 guidelines as well as suggestions for and prioritization of remediations. The report included:
Conformance with W3C’s Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) using:
- Manual and exploratory testing
- Android Mobile, iOS Testing
Sixty-two defects were reported. Recommendations were made in four key areas including highlighting active text, complete navigation through the keyboard instead of requiring mouse usage, improving descriptions and consistency on links and images.
- The client received an unbiased review of the accessibility of its website and potential barriers to use by clients or potential clients with disabilities
- The client received guidance on the improvements needed to make its website WCAG 2.0 compliant.
- Qualitest’s accessibility testing allowed the client to achieve the right level of compliance needed to avoid fines.
- Qualitest provided the client with an understanding which issues should be fixed first, as they were blocking users from key functionalities.
- As part of this test Qualitest, identified 62 issues of which 2 were severe and needed immediate attention.
- Qualitest is providing the client with consultancy to help structure better strategy around accessibility testing.
- Qualitest have provided the client with results quickly and cost effectively by providing professional accessibility team located offshore.